Thursday, February 19, 2009

One year Smoke and Booze Free!!!

I want everone to know that yesterday marked one (1) full year since I quite both smoking and drinking. Okay, Okay... sheesh! So it was for health reasons, at least I stopped! I smoked since I was 15 years old, I'm 66 now, pushing 67 hard. That would be 50 years folks that I puffed away until my old ticker simply tried walking off the job! 50 years of 1 pk. to 2.5 pk's a day, that comes to 18,262 days, or there abouts. Total cigarettes consumed by me during that period? roughly 45,000 packs! Rounding off the price of each pack to say... $1.00, that is over $45,000 I could have used elsewhere in my life! And I haven't even began to lay in on my Beer Drinking... That was quite a bit more expensive...
At first, I only drank once or twice a month, and never more that 2 or 3 beers at each setting. You have to understand I was in the Military in those days, so the legal drinking age didn't apply! I will admit I got drunk on several occasions back then, but I walked back to the barracks each time too, I didn't drive. No, that came later, we used to have a drinkers creed at the NCO Club; "If your going to drink, then drive... Face traffic with confidence!" There were quite a few of us thoughout the Military who lived that creed too, (and still do so today), until we were pulled over by the Law! (I was one of the lucky ones, not one ticket & zero DUI's in 48 years of drinking). I was also one of the dumber ones, after awhile I hardly ever crawled behind the wheel without at least a 6-pack beside me. Yeah, I was real smart back then, and real macho... B.S.!!! Well finally, about the same time as my old heart, my old liver said "No Mas", and the VAMC I was in told me I had severe Liver damage too!
Yes Sir! I'm proud of the fact that I've been off both cigarettes and Alcohol for one entire year!!! And I don't miss either one, not one damned bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment