Monday, March 23, 2009

Apologize for what???

I'm confused, I really am, I'd like to ask you a question that will probably bring out the worst of some people... So far in this country there are six States that have apologized for Slavery; Florida (the latest one), Alabama, Maryland, New Jersey, North Carolina, and Virginia. Now Conneticut is about to add their State's name to that list. My question is; Why are we apologizing now, 144 years after the end of the Civil War, (Which, by the way, wasn't fought over Slavery in the first place, but instead the major cause was undue and seemingly unfair import/export Tariff's). The reason I ask 'Why' is simply this - did anyone alive today have anything to do with the subject? Or is anyone alive today who is a survivor of Slavery? Now I want to make one thing perfectly clear, I am in no way prejudice against Blacks, I never have been, never will be, and this question wasn't intended to be racial. I just don't think this generation, (or future generations) needs to apologize for something we had absolutely nothing to do with, do you?

If all of us are so eager to apologize for the attrocities of those in another time, another century, why don't we add the millions who came to this country as "Indentured Servants"? That is how my Father's Parents became American Citizens in the late 1880's - 1890's. Why not apologize to the Cherokee and Choctaw Indians for what Presidents Jackson and Van Buren did to them in 1831 under the terms of the "Indian Removal Act of 1830" signed by Andrew Jackson and carried out by Martin Van Buren. The 'Five Civilized Tribes' residing in Georgia, Alabama, North Carolina and Tennessee were then rounded up, placed in 'concentration camps' by Federal Troops, eventually they were force marched to the Oklahoma Territories for 'resettlement'. Why? in 1828 Gold was discovered in the area of Georgia that now separated all four states involved by their State boundrylines, and that was why... Greed!

As for apologizing to the African-American population, I'm not saying 'No', but I am saying, don't include me, or expect me to apologize for something I had absolutely nothing to do with... If the States are going to start apologizing to every group of folks, or ethnic background then they need to begin first with the 'Red Man'!

No comments:

Post a Comment